Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Jeff,

I completely understand your dilemma of having potentially "moving
target" contractual obligations.

Frankly, it's not very good business to sign a contract which gives
the other party control over what you are obligated to do, from time
to time and at their sole discretion, as well as the ability to
dictate what you can charge for doing it. Conceivably, you could find
yourself with an eroded margin and even operating at a loss in a worse
case scenario. I'd say that is a very big business risk.

Understanding the risk, as no doubt you do from your post below, what
was the motivation to sign such an inequitable deal? Was it an
abundance of faith at the time, dollar signs which blurred the vision
or something else which I can't imagine right now?  Certainly, no one
duressed a signature, I'm sure.  At least, there is no complaint about
that below.

Having a contract is, indeed, very different.  It gives contractual
rights and imposes obligations.

I'd bet that most people in the GA wished that the GA had a contract
for those reasons, as well. I'd bet that most would, in fact, welcome
it, right now.

ICANN's consensus building process is a joke, in light of WLS. The
ICANN Board will do whatever they want and the contract holders, like
you, certainly seem to have much more power than the grass root domain
name holders - ala GA, et al. They completely ignored the top
recommendation from the NC (task force) and all input from the
outreach, to approve WLS, regardless. Perhaps, due to the concerns
express below, Chuck can be available to you for some moonlight
consulting.

Market forces will dictate contract negotiations with ICANN, just like
any other firm.  If the deal isn't right, that's a business decision
to make.  However, signing an inequitable deal is not sufficient
justification for more representation and control than the grass roots
domain name holders.  If you make a bad deal, well, shame on you, but
that's not my fault or anyone elses' fault.  Consequently, it is not
equitable for us to pay the price for a problem that you created and
brought upon yourself.

In the final analysis, it's the grass-roots stakeholders who have the
most to lose, who merit equitable representation and who have been
denied it. They didn't "knowingly" make a bad or risky deal. If you
did, well, that's too bad. You can always bow out at the end of the
contract, though, but the grass roots will still be the grass roots.
Without them, heck, none of this would matter, anyway.

Thanks,

Sunday, September 29, 2002, 5:05:04 PM, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@chambers.gen.nz> wrote:
PDT> comments below

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----