[ga] Policies to govern the launch of new TLDs

Dear Bruce,

Like many in the community, I look forward to the introduction of new TLDs.
When the general public thinks about ICANN reform, they also tend to focus on
the topic of expanding the namespace.  The last five out of six public
comments posted to the ERC's Forum (off-topic category) have requested the
creation of new TLDs -- these particular contributors were asking for
namespace for an adult domain (with an earlier post requesting the creation
of a TLD for Scotland).

The Final Report of the New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force
recommended that "The Board should consider to what extent it can initiate
planning of and proposal solicitations for new rounds of gTLDs in parallel
with the Evaluation and Monitoring projects recommended above."  In response
to this report, the Board at its 23 August meeting decided to defer acting on
the NTEPPTF recommendations until the Shanghai session, and resolved [02.97]
that the President is directed to produce a plan for action for approval by
the Board at its meeting in Shanghai, China, in October 2002.

I have to admit that I'm not comfortable with the idea of such an action-plan
being left totally in the hands of ICANN Staff and Management, as the
introduction of a new round of TLDs should ideally be governed by policies
set by the DNSO.  I would ask you, as the current Council Chair, to place on
the Council agenda the prospect of convening an open Working Group to
formulate such policy recommendations.