Re: [ga] Cyberspace Security and the Root(s)

The answer is obvious, Danny.  If you a single system and it fails, you lose
it all.

The idea of multiple roots simply means that there are many systems out there
that the community may use.  If one enitre system fails, there are others to
which to point.  If some roots carry more information (TLDs) than others, it
simply affords that much more for users.  It does not imply that any one root
is better than another.

Of course cooperative "peering" is the best solution, where all roots carry
all other roots' TLDs and everyone has the same information.  Unfortunately,
that effort was permanently altered when ICANN duplicated one TLD and
announced it would do so at any time it pleases.  However, the major roots
have decided to discontinue resolving the original .biz tld, so they will be
better able to alleviate the inherent problems with the duplication.  So that
battle is now ended, but the precedent still must be reversed.  The community
is not well served when one root system claims total authority for the entire
internet.  It may well boil down to "who do you trust."

For security purposes, the roots must all follow security measures for each
server and cluster, but with a myriad of distributed root systems, there is
little danger of having a catastrophic failure.

I think at the end of the day, there will always be multiple root systems and
people will use them.  It makes little difference who approves of them. It's
a world wide choice available to all users.   No one country or entity will
rule the net.

Leah