Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

Allan and all assembly members,

Allan Liska wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> Wednesday, August 28, 2002, 2:55:26 AM, you wrote:
>
> JW> Allan and all assembly members,
>
> JW> Allan Liska wrote:

> >> Some, but not all.
>
> JW>   No, most but not all is more accurate...
>
> >>  Since ISPs cannot reliably be expected to clean up
> >> viruses, especially from customers that do not use their mail servers
> >> your rebuttal is invalid.
>
> JW>   But they can and frequently do clean up viruses.  Hence your
> JW> original argument is invalid on that point alone.  However the
> JW> rare chance that a Domain Name holder is the cause or originator
> JW> of a virus of one kind or another is still best handled by the Admin
> JW> Contact, as most Domain Name Registrants have no idea as to
> JW> how to deal with viruses...
>
> So, when was the last time Earthlink called you to tell you had a
> virus?

  Earthlink has never called me on the phone regarding any viruses.
The have frequently sent me warning's via E-Mail when early detection of
viruses have been detected.

> I have worked with several large ISPS, at not one has ever
> called a customer and instructed them how to clean a virus off their
> machine.

  Like I said above, no I have never been called on the phone, and don't
want to be called on the phone for these sorts of concerns.  But I have
been notified by E-mail or the Admin contact(s) for my Domain Names I have
under management by the ISP's I do business with on quite a few
occasions...  They, the warning E-Mail's, are commonly called "Virus Alerts".
Perhaps you have had the chance to have heard of them.  I am also notified
as well by other orgs such as Sans.org, of "Virus Alerts" as well...

> No large ISP, that I am aware of, offers virus filtering on their mail
> servers as the default.

  Netcom/Earthlink does...  I have never gotten bitten by a Virus
on my Earthlink accounts or on any of my Domains they have hosted
for me.

> If it is offered at all, it is an optional
> extra service.

  Not for E-Mail at Netcom/Earthlink.  It is part of their standard service...

>  Of course, I have only worked with business-class
> ISPs -- but they handle the bulk of the traffic on the Internet, so
> their practices are probably the best to watch.

  Depends of which business class ISP's you are referring to as to
whether they are "probably the best to watch".  I certainly would
not say AOL, AT&T or MSN as being one of those business class
ISP's that are "probably the best to watch".  In fact Juno/Netzero
do a much better job in this area...

> It is not a rare occurrence that a virus originates from someone
> within a domain.

  I have yet to see one in some time now...  Sans.org as well as other
Virus watch and tracking organizations that I am a member of
do not show any in some time now...

> Melissa, Klez, and other worm/virus hybrids are all
> prime examples of this.

  Examples of what?  Those were not originated at DNS or from any
particular Domain Name.

>  When these types viruses hit, the quicker I
> can get ahold of someone responsible for the domain, the quicker the
> damage from within the domain can be contained.  Once again, the ISP
> is not going to be able to run a virus scanner on their user's
> desktop.  The domain administrator will.

  First of all, if you are making the argument that containing the
questionable
case that the virus originated from a particular Domain Name and than saying
that
the ISP cannot run a virus scan on anyone's particular desktop, you are
arguing
in reverse.  That being that if containing such a highly questionable and
certainly
rare Domain Name originated Virus and than making the case in the reverse
to a some individuals Desktop PC, than containment is not an issue.  Hence,
this argument is fallacious to that extent.

> allan
> - --
> Allan Liska
> allan@allan.org
> http://www.allan.org

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801