Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

On 2002-08-27 14:40:59 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>For a long time we have all known what the policies are.

Guess what, not everyone clearly understands these policies, and
the summary is mostly intended for people who are not, at this
point, familiar with the details.

(Just look at the language preceding the bulk access question on the
WHOIS task force's survey form - that text is supposed to describe
the current bulk access provisions.  The form is linked from
http://does-not-exist.org/whois/. WARNING: That page was last
updated during the Ghana meetings.)

>We have also known that many detest these policies and are looking
>for aggressive changes rather than aggressive enforcement.  Why is
>the task force of the view that "enforcing the existing
>contractual provisions is the essential first step"?

You are quoting this out of context: The recommendation about
enforcement was about a single concern, accuracy.  Supplying
accurate data is one thing - you don't give a fake address when
applying for an unlisted phone number, right? Giving everyone access
to that data is an entirely different thing - though it's an idea
you can find throughout ICANN's contracts with registries and
registrars.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/