Re: [ga] WLS Suggestion

Karl - let me paint a picture of what WLS is and why it should not be
allowed to progress...

    1)    The WLS system is a method for which an existing registrar can
block the transfer or otherwise control of a piece of IP from its rightful
owner, and this is easily demonstrated.

This is true because any registrar that already has the domain name
registered can perform the WLS process faster than any of its competition
since it and only it will be there  when it expires the name and releases it
for re-registration. Therefore if it resells the publication against that
domain name no other Registrar will be able to beat it to the
re-registration efforts. Hence WLS give the incumbent registrar an unfair
advantage. Further how are you going to stop multiple Registrars from
booking against the same name when clearly the incumbent will be the winner
unless #2 is also dealt with.

    2)    The WLS system clearly violates the constraints of equality at the
bottom line that people like NASD have had to deal with by embargoing
network transactions until all participants have the same equal share/chance
at winning the prize here (in this case the domain name(s) that have been
WLS'ted).

    3)    The WLS system further confuses what is and what is not a
trademarkable instance since by trademark law I do not necessarily have to
continue the use of the marque on the Internet to still have the trademark
status of the word... or in this case the domain name.

    4)    And the biggest problem is that this only controls within the
ICANN Root and that is likewise a serious issue since anyone else can
already publish the same name with another root provider and viola...

Todd