Re: [ga] WLS Suggestion

> Any comments?

Thanks for asking, Karl.

As a consumer, I prefer the WLS to the status quo. As a marketwatcher, I
think registrar innovation should be encouraged. I also think registry
innovation should be enouraged. If there's a conflict between registrar
innovation and registry innovation, I'd personally strike the policy balance
on the side of the registrars.

I don't envy you this decision. I think a vote on either side would be
completely justifiable.

If you do vote to approve it, one suggestion that might go to Kristy's
point: How about a rule that says that no one can take out a WLS
subscription on a name that doesn't expire within the next 12 months? That
way, registrants can ensure that no one "squats" on their expiring
registrations simply by taking out a multi-year term. WLS subscriptions
would automatically expire when a name was renewed for a period longer than
1 year. Something like that.

       -- Bret