Re: [ga] something for the WHOIS committee?

The advisory says ". . . reasonable and commercially practicable (a)
verification, at the time of registration . . . or (b) periodic
re-verification of such information. . . ."

I think that a Registrar who employs reasonable data edits at the
time of the registration is compliant with the requirements stated in
the advisory.

In this case, however, the Registrar may have been able to edit for
"no.valid.email@." That would have most probably caused a different,
but equally invalid, address to be entered.  There is a reasonable and
practical limit to what can be edited.

At least this Registrant is not trying to cloak their identity. There
is also a contact e-mail address posted on their web site: "Contact us
at: info@nameintelligence.com"

Saturday, August 17, 2002, 10:39:49 PM, DannyYounger@cs.com <DannyYounger@cs.com> wrote:
Dcc> Rick,

Dcc> There probably should be a way of honoring the Advisory posted at
Dcc> http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-10may02.htm while still
Dcc> preventing data mining.  Isn't it at all possible for registrars to convert
Dcc> an email address into a GIF or JPEG format to thwart current automated mining
Dcc> practices?  It seems to me that everyone would appreciate that type of a
Dcc> service...

Dcc> --
Dcc> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----