Re: [ga] Transfers and the Policy-Development Process

Thomas,

It is clear that the implementation process cannot proceed in an
unaccountable vaccuum. You are correct in asserting that "Code is Law", that
we should properly fear code that might be manipulated, and that we cannot
blindly trust those that formulate such implementations without proper checks
and balances...  even so, I do note that the FCC does manage to handle
implementation concerns in a fairly straight-forward manner with processes
that call for a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, a public comment period on the
implementational details, etc. -- it can be done (even without the formal
rigidity of the Administrative Procedures Act).

And yes, there are proposals even for reform of the FCC itself... one such
proposal which called for even greater transparency is noted at
http://www.tiaonline.org/policy/fcc_reform.cfm

My point is that the DNSO is chartered primarily to develop and recommend
substantive policies.  That is its role.  The role of implementing policy
advice belongs to another group, the Executive branch -- the President and
his Staff.  But perhaps you are saying that we spend so much time on
implementation concerns because we just don't trust the staff to act in our
best interests... you may be right.  I guess our goal should be to establish
ways to regulate the implementation process as well as to better define the
policy-recommending process.