RE: [ga] ICANN reimburse $75,000 to GAC for GAC secretariat

Dear Jon,
At 21:36 14/08/02, Jon Lawrence wrote:
>he Australian government has outlayed (according to their own figures)
>about A$3 million (~US$1.5m) in support of the GAC.  I think you'll find
>that it is not so much that the Australian government cannot afford to
>support the GAC, but rather that, having achieved most of the objectives it
>set itself - redelegation of .au primarily - it simply does not want to
>continue to subsidise the rest of the governments that are involved in the
>GAC.

This seems a reasonable reason to step out and this was not questionned.
This was also a reasonable reason to step in. Yet there are some feelings
that it was to be able to create auDA and that maybe the auDA contract
was signed because ....

>It is hardly reasonable after all to expect one country that represents
>approximately 1% of global domains registered (sorry I couldn't do the
>population maths in my head so that stat will have to do) to pay for the
>administration of a global intergovernmental committee.  As an Australian
>tax payer, I'm inclined to agree.

That is a *vey good* reason!

>Also, from the minutes of the GAC meeting in Accra (11-12 March 2002):
>http://www.noie.gov.au/Projects/international/DNS/gac/meetings/mtg12/gac12mi
>n.htm
>
>"Following this the Chair advised that he will be resigning effective from
>the end of the Shanghai meeting and the Australian Government will cease
>providing the Secretariat function at the end of the Bucharest meeting."

OK the Bucharest meetng is just over. What about paying back. When was the
money spent? Since the Bucharest meeting?

>I would therefore be interested to know why no other government or
>governments have stepped in to provide funding.  I don't buy for a second
>the argument that this is because governments take too long to make
>decisions.  This was announced in mid March - 5 months ago -  and may well
>have been communicated informally before that time.  That's plenty of time
>for any government that is serious about supporting ICANN and having a
>strong voice in it to find what is really a very small amount of money in
>relative terms.

True.

But my point was.

1. either is Australia so short of money it has to ask ICANN to advance
money instead of asking the next Gov to come?

>Is it not therefore a more plausible assumption that the governments
>involved in the GAC do not wish to support ICANN at all?

2. or is Australia aware of such that disinterest to think no Gov will come
and then asks the money now?.

I feel your comment shows that Australia, Stuart and Joe do the same, they
leave.
jfc