RE: Thick vs.thin (was: [ga] Casting stones)

Hello,

--- "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:
> Do you have any data to back up your conclusion about the cost of the
> network?

There are more "costs" than simply the operational costs incurred in
running the centralized WHOIS. One should also consider other things.
One example, for instance, is the abuse that can occur when such a
valuable database is centralized in hands that seem to have no problem
"testing the limits" of the law, as per the current FTC investigation
into the trade practises of a company we all know and love....

The costs to consumers, registrars, and other market participants due
to those practises are non-trivial, albeit difficult to measure.

Perhaps your colleagues can tell us exactly how many of those "renewal
notices" were mailed out, to assist us in estimating those costs. If 5%
of individuals got confused, had to call their registrars (incurring
increased support costs) for 10 minutes of support, at $20/hour, we can
provide some educated guesses as to some of the costs. Perhaps another
0.1 percent had their business disrupted (email, webservices, etc.) for
10 days, at a cost of $100/day, adding even more to the true "costs".

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/