Re: [ga] Evaluating Participation

Hi Danny,

(cc list trimmed)

--- DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> committed participation".  One only needs to look at list traffic to
> evaluate
> the degree of relevant participation by "major bodies".  The
> following is a
> compilation of the quantity of comments posted to major lists during
> this
> last week (August 1-7):

You raise a good point. It would be nice if the mailing lists could
spit out statistics as to the number of posts of each contributor, or
allow a sorting by author (as they do for sorting by thread or by
date). Perhaps someone will write a script to do so, similar to the
stats that appear on Usenet newsgroups...

I'd be curious to know how many of the Board members are subscribed to
the various mailing lists, and are more "active" in following the
issues. They might not always respond, preferring to "lurk". However, I
viewed it as a positive that both Vint Cerf and Stuart Lynn are
actually subscribed to the GA list (as they both made posts recently).
Hopefully the discussions that are taking place have an impact on their
thinking.

What might be even better is if they'd occasionally ask questions,
raise issues, and give us insights as to what information/views are
required to make better decisions. E.g., a posting like "That's a good
point, XXXX -- can you elaborate on it?" or "Have you considered the
YYYY implications if we did ZZZZZ? How can we modify things to avoid
them?" They don't have 6 hours/day to be posting messages everyday, but
it'd be a positive if they'd participate in the open debate from time
to time, through questions or observations, instead of just absorbing
it all in "lurker mode".

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/