Re: Thick vs.thin (was: [ga] Casting stones)

On 2002-08-06 23:16:58 -0700, Rick Wesson wrote:

>correct, Michael appears to have reversed the meaning. in your
>context
>
>  thick: mamanges contact
>  thin: does not manage contacts

It wasn't Michael, but me, and I didn't reverse the meaning at all -
I just wasn't overly clear who goes jurisdiction shopping for what
purpose.

With the thick model (when implemented from the beginning of a TLD),
the registry can go jurisdiction shopping in order to be able to
implement whatever privacy policy they like.  (Ever thought about
what happens when you put a thick registry into a country with
strict privacy regulations?)

With the thin model, the customer can go jurisdiction shopping when
selecting the registrar.  In theory, that should be sufficient to
make sure that some possible abuses of registrants' data don't
occur.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/