[ga] The ERC Scam

When the ERC released its first Status Report, we were told that a task force
of representatives of the broad ICANN community would be established to
recommend the details of the policy-development process.  In theory this
sounded somewhat akin to the idea of bottom-up, yet as it turns out
(according to today's NC teleconference) "a Driver from the Top-down" is
quite clearly dictating the course of the recommendations that will be
forthcoming.

Bruce Tomkin noted:  "One of the things that I found interesting between the
first call that we had and the second call that we had... in the first call
we're already talking about membership in Task Forces and how we would try to
widen the membership and allow different groups to participate in the Task
Force process.  Then, in the second call, there was really a shift which
seemed to be coming from the Top down, more-or-less saying that more of the
work of the Task Forces should be done within the Names Council itself.  And
then the issue was... well then, it doesn't matter about the membership of
task forces... you could have a task force of one member if you like because
the representation issues were dealt with at the Names Council itself."

From Phil Sheppard we also learned that Joe Sims is now part of the ERC
process and has offered his own "suggestions" to the group.

At a glance it appears that having chosen the most malleable folks they could
find, the ERC is now proceeding to "guide" their efforts dictating everything
from report format to proposed content.  This will then be passed off as
recommendations from the community.   On a different front, the exact same
process is being repeated within the ALOC.  Denise Michel is drafting her own
document and has already arbitrarily rejected language endorsed by a number
of At-Large committee members.

We are looking at a well-orchestrated deception.