[ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Former ICANN father figure criticizes domain body

Hans,

Listening to Ira Magaziner at today's CATO Institute session was indeed a
rare moment, and I was pleased to note the high degree of interest on the
part of the press.

Accountability is rapidly becoming the issue du jour.  In addition to David's
article in the Washington Post you can expect to see articles by Dugie
(Washington Internet Daily), Andy (Reuters), and Declan, all of whom were
there covering the event as well.  Comments of note:  Harold Feld and Milton
Mueller both raised the issue of the need for a re-bid of the ICANN
contracts.  Richard Hill (not a panelist, but an attendee) spoke briefly on
behalf of the ITU, and Mike Roberts admittedly made some excellent
observations  (I see that the full text of his remarks have already been
posted to http://www.lextext.com/MMR-RemarksCato.html ).

Judging from the roster of attendees at this event, I think it is fairly
clear that Washington is making a real effort to "listen" to the concerns of
the user community.  Meanwhile, ICANN continues to think of the At-Large as
nothing more than the rat-hole into which they have sunk three years worth of
resources.  In my view, they will do nothing more than feign an interest in
"listening" in order to pacify the DoC.

You are correct in asserting that the user community can and must continue to
speak out in support of accountability.  Now is the time to renew the effort
with even greater vigor.