Re: [ga] Thoughts/question on the WLS

Joanna and all assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> John Berryhill
> > Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 8:22 PM
> > What, in your mind, or in theirs, is stopping them?
>
> IMHO, nothing is stopping VeriSign, they are on track to launch. My guess is
> that the only reason the Staff referred the issue back to a DNSO TF (whose
> opinions and processes they could not care less about) is for damage
> limitation purposes.

  There is nothing stopping verisign anyway if they wish to go ahead
and launch WLS.  And that is really not the issue with WLS and the
DNSO TR-TF anyway.  What is the issue is that if the ICANN
BoD accepts WLS than ICANN is effectively saying that
WLS is a "Best Practices" or "Standard" for dealing with the
Delete problem.

> - snip -
>
> The real question is: what benefit can ICANN Staff possibly gain from
> stopping WLS?

  Yes this is also a good question, but not the only "Real" question.

What benefit that ICANN now has is that if it does not approve
WLS, than the ICANN BoD and staff can at least show some
techo-policy savvy and creditability.  Right now the ICANN BoD
and staff doesn't have very much of that, if any...

  However, as I have stated before early on in this WLS debate,
none of this precludes Verisign implementing WLS in any way.

> Regards,
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827