Re: [ga] Karl's latest

Let's not forget that the USG "gave" the controls to ICANN, but with
the proviso that it complied with certain obligations, such as the
MoU.

Has it complied?  I submit that ICANN's actions speak for themselves.

The adoption of the blueprint at Bucharest is even more clear and
convincing evidence of ICANN's intent to fully circumscribe the
ability of the Internet Community to be heard and to be effectively
represented within the ICANN structure.

ICANN has evolved into a dictatorship form of governance, with only window
dressing and lip service given to consensus and the voice, wishes and
representation of the Internet Community at large.

Personally, I find it preferable for the DoC to relieve ICANN. ICANN
is snake bit.

Tuesday, July 9, 2002, 7:49:25 AM, James Love <james.love@cptech.org> wrote:
JL> Andy Mueller-Maguhn wrote:
>> Also, I do not think, that anybody can use "the government as a tool"
>> because governments have their own interests next to the sometimes
>> existing tiny little bit of reputation some of them might have, through
>> claiming to work on behalf of the citizens (which is of course different
>> for the different governments of the different countries and their
>> different understandings and procedures to do so).
>>
>> The meeting in Bucharest already took place under specific and more
>> or less extreme statements as well from governmental representatives
>> as from people involed with the ITU. If you look at the current international
>> situation outside ICANN, it is hard to guess in what kind  of issues
>> a strong governmental involvemend would bring us in what we can
>> see now as the "ICANN policy area" and what might it might end up to be.
>>
>> Exactly this is at least my reason for voting in favour of the
>> blueprint as at least a less-worse solution then strong governmental
>> involvement would be.

JL>      Andy, at what point does ICANN become a "government" for the Internet?

JL> ------
JL> James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
JL> http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
JL> voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040

JL> --
JL> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----