Re: [ga] "Moderating" the GA list.

Thomas,

No one in the GA has called for a moderated list.
No one in the GA has asked that the Chair be replaced by a Council appointee.
No one in the GA has demanded that we lose our voting rights.

Why are you so quickly jumping on the Board's bandwagon and supporting this
ill-considered top-down "solution"?

The problems in the DNSO do not stem from the GA.  We have a rapidly growing
membership whose total exceeds that of all other constituencies combined.
Our members are more involved with the day-to-day issues in ICANN than any
other group.  We are the equivalent of an open Town Hall meeting that is
always noisy, has both informed and uninformed members of the public (and
occasionally the lunatic fringe), but overall one fact remains clear -- the
debate is always healthy and vigorous.  A Town Hall meeting requires no
"moderation" of the type that you are proposing... it only requires that
which we already have in place -- sanctions against those that abuse our very
few rules.

The "problem" has always been the pathetic performance of the Council, and
the consistently poor policy guidance that they have offered to the Board.
The recent "Blueprint" does nothing to solve this core problem.

Instead of a purely democratic one-person/one-vote in the DNSO, we are being
told that the dysfunctional constituency system will prevail, and that the
public interest element will lose their voting rights while only the
lobbyists for special interest groups may vote within ICANN's
policy-recommending bodies.  Further, the public voice must be "moderated"
and controlled by a top-down appointed Chair.  This is unacceptable.

Why should the voice of these lobbyists carry any more weight than the voice
of the public that is represented in the GA?  Our founding structure called
for a balance between the public interest and the special interests
represented in the Supporting Organizations.  Since the At-Large has been
eliminated, we remain the last bastion to support the public voice in the
ICANN process, and the GNSO should reflect this necessary balance with full
and complete voting rights for all of its members (not just for those that
belong to special interest groups).

As Chair, I would expect you to fight for our rights... not just to cave in
to "imposed solutions" that run contrary to the bottom-up process.  Please
re-think your position.