[ga] DNSO/GNSO: Same dysfunctionality/ New package

Kent,

I appreciate your interest in the reform topic and wouldn't mind getting your
views on the proposed reform of the DNSO.

At best, I see little more than cosmetic changes.  Sure, we have a new name
(GNSO), but we basically still have the same set of players (with the ccTLDs
being replaced by NonCom appointees)... and no proposals to deal with the
current dysfunctionality of the constituency approach.

For some reason, rather than creating new and long-overdue constituencies by
fiat, which the Board is empowered to do on its own motion, we have once more
been asked to wait for the establishment of "criteria" which will allow for
"provisional" constituencies to eventually obtain full-voting constituency
status.  I need not remind you that we have already been down this "criteria"
road before...

So what has really changed?  How is this an improvement over the prior model
which also had "criteria" for new constituencies?

Not surprisingly, we are told that yet another "Review" will be conducted in
12 months time... but what's the point?  We have already had two back-to-back
"reviews" of the DNSO, and obviously no one bothered to listen as no
modifications have been recommended.  So why go through the exercise again
when absolutely nothing of consequence has changed?

The Council will continue to operate in the same fashion that it has always
operated.  Policy guidance to the Board will become even more poor than it is
at the moment because there is now no longer any incentive for GA members to
participate...  they can't vote on their own procedures, they can't elect
their own Chair, and they can't tender recommendations to the Board.  The
current proposal only serves to dishearten the remaining volunteers.

How exactly does this plan increase the quality of the policy guidance that
will be offered to the Board?  I'm sorry, but I don't see any "evolution",
only a plan to continue carrying dysfunctionality forward.