Re: [ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLSproposal

  • To: micheal@beethoven.com
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLSproposal
  • From: William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:53:02 -0700
  • CC: ga@dnso.org
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

Friday, June 21, 2002, 11:10:30 AM, Micheal Sherrill wrote:

> What we need to do, I think, is make SPAM illegal, period.  SPAM
> should be a federal and international violation.  Do not hide from
> it by eliminating the Whois.  Have the Whois find the SPAMers and
> send them to jail, instead.

No way.

Who gets to decide what spam is?

An Australian company who provides free and low cost dns services sent
out a notice to its customers recently about an emergency down time
they were having.  It was the FIRST such message in many years of
operation that they had to sent out such a notice.

And it resulted in people laying accusations of spam against them.

Who gets to decide what spam is and what it isn't?

Since the start of the antispam community, the definition of what they
consider "spam" has continued to broaden, and encompass more and more
types of email.

You create a bad precedent in asking for the government, any
government, to regulate email in such a fashion.

And this doesn't even touch the fact that all you would do is drive
them offshore anyway.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>