Re: [ga] WLS

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:47:34 -0400, James Love wrote:

> I agree with Kent on this.   There is a difference between end users and
> speculators, and it is far more important to protect end users than
> speculators in domain names.

Hi Jamie

Most of the time I agree with you but you are being misled by Kent.

First, you should realise that Kent uses very subtle debating tricks.
Then, please consider the following three questions:

IF "speculation is wrong" (unproved hypothesis) THEN

(1)    Does the WLS stop it or even reduce it ?  Answer NO (why would it?).

(2)    Even if WLS did stop, or reduce, speculation, is it the best way to
achieve that objective?  Answer NO (you could, for example, just ban
sales and/or transfers).

(3)    Even if WLS solved the problem of speculation completely, does WLS have
other consequences which are as harmful as the evil you are attacking (viz.
"speculation")?  Answer YES (as stated, absence of registrar competition).

If my answer to any one of those three questions is correct, then Kent hasn't
made a case for introducing WLS to stop speculation !!!

Apart from which it is a very hypothetical edifice quite unrelated to the
objective of WLS.  [Note that I don't believe the system will be limited to
only one person in the queue.]

Best regards
Patrick Corliss