[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

>Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:22:18 -0400
>From: James Love <james.love@cptech.org>
>To: "Transfer TF (E-mail)" <nc-transfer@dnso.org>
>CC: NCDNHC-discuss list <discuss@icann-ncc.org>
>
>As one of the members of the Transfers TK from the NCC, this is my proposed
>solution to the problem of expired domains.
>
>Rather than allocate these domains on a first come first serve basis, which
>   creates a lot of problems in terms of how people get first in line, and
>which also  presents problems for people that did not intend to let a
domain
>lapse, I propose the following proceedure.
>
>1.  Whenever a domain expires, and after whatever grace period is
>appropriate, it be placed upon a list of expired domains, maintained joinly
>by the registrars who want to participate, with equal access to the list.
>
>2.  Over a period of 30 days, any person who wants to register the expired
>domain can express an interest.
>
>3.  During the 30 day period, the original domain owner can reactivate the
>domain.
>
>4.  If the original domain owner has not reactivated the domain during the
>30 day period, the domain is assigned by lottery to one of the parties
>seeking the domain.
>
>Jamie

What is wrong with the expired domain name falling into obscurity?

Why is "expiry" information published and openly accessed by the rest of the
world in the WHOIS database ? Does this help anybody apart from domain
name hoarders/pirates/speculators ?

Let me explain my proposed solution clearly:

1. removal of the "expires" info in the publicly accessed WHOIS database
2. before expiry, the registrar send out usual renewal notices, as it is
done now.
3. at expiry, the registrar notifies the domain name holder that the domain
has
expired, and keeps it "on ice" for 30 days during which time the domain is
completely
removed from the WHOIS database - ie. it falls in obscurity
4. if the domain name holder then renews the domain, it re-appears in the
WHOIS
database, and all is fine
5. if the domain name holder prefers not to renew the domain, the domain's
details are erased from the database altogether, and the domain falls into
obscurity. Anybody could re-register it again, but they first need to find
out
if it exists, and that involves a lot of work. Remember that automatic data
mining of the WHOIS database contradicts the AUP of the registrar.

How much more difficult can it be than this ?
It is the fairest way to run the DNS.

--
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, Ph.D. |--> Global Information Highway Limited
E-mail:<ocl@gih.com> | Tel:+44 (0)7956 84 1113 | Fax:+44 (0)20 7937 7666