From: Ross Wm. Rader [mailto:ross@tucows.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 2:37 AM
To: James Love; John Berryhill
Cc: ga@dnso.org; Transfer TF (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [ga] [ncdnhc-discuss] Re: WLS proposal

> Specifically, I proposed a 30 day period during which people
> could register for a lottery for the expired domain, and that during this
30
> day period, at any time, the original domain holder could get it back.
> Anyone who wanted the expired domain could contact the original domain
name
> holder, and suggest they get the domain back and sell it to them.  So if
any
> auction develops, it will be with the original domain holder, not the
> registrar.   The original domain name holder benefits the most from this
> system.  They are more likely to catch mistakes, or could sell the domain
> an interested party.

We talked about something similar on the last call.

Realizing that a lot of the speculative value of a domain lies with the
goodwill that accrues to it because of the initial registrant, it was
proposed that all domain names slated for deletion are put into a cooling
tank for x days beyond the 30 days described in the Redemption Grace Period
proposal.

This would create a situation whereby registrants would be guaranteed a
right of re-registration "if they forgot to renew" and eliminate or diminish
trainspotting by ensuring a prolonged 404-like condition over a reasonably
extended period of time before the name was deleted. Once cooled, the domain
could be deleted and re-registered by anyone on a first-come, first served
basis (and get a name relatively free of baggage).

In my mind, this proposal has much to commend it in its simplicity and
perceived effectiveness.

-rwr