Re: [ga] WLS proposal

Rick,

I think you are missing the point.

The status quo is pro-competition.  Pro-competition is pro-consumer.
Look what's happened to the price of domain name registrations after
other Registrars have entered the market.  Even NetSol/VeriSign has
been offering sales and discounts.

WLS means there will be one, and only one, source of supply for
expired domain names and at a very high cost, indeed. Add to that
equation the fact that NetSol/VeriSign has been hoarding domain names
for a long time. They will, therefore, have the only watering hole and
can dictate, mandate and demand whatever price they want for anyone to
have a drink. The consumer has absolutely no choice.  The price is
fixed.

If WLS happens, there will not be any open market competition or
consumer choice.  History shows us that's a bad deal.  Monopoly has
never proven to be good for the consumer.

However, you are absolutely correct that other people are making money
due to the status quo.  They are competing for the opportunity to make
it, though, and that introduces market efficiencies.  That's good for
the consumer and generally drives down the price.  A monopoly has
absolutely no incentive to do that, since they are the only game in
town.

The "add storms" were initially an excuse to justify WLS. However,
when NetSol/VeriSign was called on it, they stated more than once that
the "add storms" are no longer a problem. George gave you the links to
those statements. Therefore, Registry capacity is not relevant to WLS.
Even if it was relevant, it is a very weak argument, laughable, in
fact, from a technical standpoint.

Bull Feathers, WRT the argument that WLS will reduce domain name
speculation.  Snap Names and Gomez readily admits that half of the
Snap Name customers are speculators.

Bull Feathers, also to the argument that the other competitors will be
able to market WLS at whatever price they like. NetSol sets that
price, too. There is not very much margin to pay for the little things
like R&D and marketing discriminators, either. NetSol/VeriSign gets
the lions share of the margin. Again, the big dog eats whenever he
wants. That's how a monopoly works and that's bad for a free market
and consumers.

Please don't fall for the marketing hipe. The obvious intent of WLS is
to fully control and monopolize domain name expirations, kill all
competition, remove any consumer choice and for Snap Names and
NetSol/VeriSign to make one heck of a lot of money.

It's not an original thought, but I'll repeat it anyway.  WLS is
nothing more than a money grab.  It is about profit for the WLS
players, pure and simple.

I'm confident that if you continue to peel the onion and look at all
of the posts with regard to WLS and use your own common sense, that
you will come to the very same conclusion.

Thanks for spending the time to be on the TF and work on this project.

Thanks,

Monday, June 17, 2002, 6:44:17 PM, Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com> wrote:

RW> George,

>> Conclusion: the Status Quo works great! Don't worry, be happy!

RW> an issue that concerns some is that your statement seems to read:

RW>   " I making money, so please don't screw up my nice little market nitch"

RW> Its not working for everyone and that is what we are attempting to fix in
RW> a fair and equitable manor, fail to realize that and you are marginalized.

RW> -rick

RW> --
RW> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----