Re: [ga] WLS proposal

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, at 16:44 [=GMT-0700], Rick Wesson wrote:

> George,
>
> > Conclusion: the Status Quo works great! Don't worry, be happy!
>
> an issue that concerns some is that your statement seems to read:
>
>   " I making money, so please don't screw up my nice little market nitch"
>
> Its not working for everyone and that is what we are attempting to fix in
> a fair and equitable manor, fail to realize that and you are marginalized.

The fairest way to determine who has the best right to a domain is perhaps
giving it to the person who is willing to pay the most cash for it. This
is sad, but workable, unlike eye colour, size of feet or other aspects
that matter in a beauty contest, like trademarks, good causes, and the
like.

Speculation in domain names is the crude way in which the above was and is
implemented because of lack of finding any real solution by those in
charge of the domain name cartel.  Perhaps because the registrars and
registries profit very much from speculation, which means more
registrations, and hence ICANN, which receives a 'tax' on each domain. The
more the better.

If ICANN was truly accepted by the Internet Community At Large, it could
auction expired domains (or let the registry do that), and use the profit
for good purposes, like the expensive evaluation of the new gTLDs, which
(as is the main conclusion of over a year of work of Lynn's Committee) is
beyond ICANN's budget.

By the way: A waiting list will only create more unused domains and
speculation. If you know someone else wants it, you renew it.