RE: [nc-transfer] Re: [ga] WLS Questions

A recent NAF decision is interesting in the context of this discussion of
the use of WLS by cybersquatters.

In the proceeding of China Lucky Film Group v. Hu Haobo, FA 109372 (Nat.
Arb. Forum May 28, 2002), Complainant's Internet Service Provider (ISP)
failed to renew <luckyfilm.com>, a domain name it had used for five years.
Respondent seized the opportunity and "grabbed" the lapsed domain name.  The
Panel held that linking <luckyfilm.com> to a website that stated "back-order
expiring domain names you want" constituted evidence of bad faith
registration for the purpose of selling the domain name and the name was
transferred to Complainant.

If a similar position is consistently taken by UDRP arbitrators, WLS
cybersquatters should have no greater success than ab initio cybersquatters.

This case also points out the real need for a grace period and notice to the
actual domain name owner of the expiration of its domain name since domain
name owners can easily fall victim to the negligence of the ISP or other
party to whom the domain name registration process had been entrusted.

David S. Safran
Nixon Peabody LLP
8180 Greensboro Drive
Suite 800
McLean, VA 22102
Office:  703.770.9315
Fax:  703.770.9400
dsafran@nixonpeabody.com

This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately reply to the sender and delete the
message from your email system. Thank you.