Re: [ga] CIRA Board Elections

         If we're discussing the CIRA elections here, I want to put in a
good word for Michael Geist.  Michael was elected to the CIRA Board last
year, in CIRA's first online election, and is now running for
re-election.  In his day job, he's a professor at the University of
Ottawa.  He's a tremendously solid guy.  He played an important role in
CIRA's adoption of a Canadian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy that is
superior to the UDRP, with more free speech protection, a better approach
to arbitrator selection, and the prospect of compensation by reverse domain
name hijackers.  He's worked to maintain CIRA's financial stability and
promote dot-ca.  Vis-a-vis the relationship with ICANN, he writes:  "I will
not support any agreement with ICANN unless Canadian interests are
adequately protected. I believe that ICANN must represent the interests of
all stakeholders by ensuring that there are appropriate levels of
accountability and public participation. Without such assurances, CIRA
should be wary of entering into any permanent obligations with ICANN."

         Bio and statement at
http://www.cira.ca/cira/election?FN=PUB_VIEW_CAN_STMT&cand_id=423455&first_name=Michael&middle_name=&last_name=Geist&lang=en&status=CNB

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg