Re: [ga] Re: Redelegation issues

Ken Stubbs wrote:

>that is an incredibly irresponsible statement to make jefsey and has
>absolutely no basis
>in fact..

>   But let be clearer; should the USA decide to attack Iraq, be sure that
>   there would be some up-dates into the root file.

My two cents:

I also believe with Ken that the root file would not be updated, but this
is, IMHO, beyond the point.
The problem is that, if they decide to do it (which I repeat is unlikely),
they have the right to do so. Again, .iq might be the wrong case, because it
has sanctions against decided at the international level (UN), but exactly
the same could happen in cases where US has decided sanctions that are not
supported internationally, like Cuba.

The unlikelyhood of the event is little excuse for not doing the thing right
and eliminate the possibility. Let me take an example from my own
professional life.
What is the likelyhood that US (or France, or any of the other "nuclear
weapon states") throw a nuclear bomb to another country? For instance, UK
could have bombed Argentina during the Falkland/Malvinas war!
Well, the unlikelyhood of the event does not prevent the international
community to make moves in order to establish international traties that can
prevent this to happen.
What is the likelyhood that countries like Australia or Switzerland go
bananas and start producing nuclear weapons? Nevertheless, there is a
NonProliferation Treaty that is signed and enfoced as international law.

The same is true for the control of the root.
To simply rely on the good will of one country not to perform (or not to
prevent) modifications is insufficient protection. We need to put the
control of the root under international law jurisdiction.
Note that this is not dramatically hard to achieve, and is completely
independent from other issues and/or tasks of ICANN.

Regards
Roberto