Re: [ga] ISOC set to bid on .org

Danny and all assembly members,

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> [...]

  This is neither surprising or really all that new news as Don Heath
had been discussing this on the NCC list a couple of months back
(See NCC list  Archives).

> Our partner for the back-end registry services provider will be
> Afilias, Inc. see http://www.afilias.info for more information.

  Also this should come as no surprise either, as Afilias, although
a disaster with .INFO, are pretty close to many of the top
level folks in the ISOC...

>   As
> you can appreciate, as the bid period is still open, it is difficult
> for us to give  details on our application or on our agreement with
> Afilias but it is attractive for ISOC in a number of respects.

  Yeah I bet it is attractive given ISOC's recent discussions regarding
funding problems.  The $5m that goes with this potential bid if the
ISOC should get it, and the existing registrations in .ORG being
fairly good from a cash flow stand point, would improve the ISOC's
current cash flow problems...

> We believe this is a good opportunity for both ISOC and the
> non-commercial constituency that .org serves.

  How so?

>    ISOC's mission is
> wholly consistent with that non-commercial philosophy and our plans
> for .ORG will enable it to flourish as a truly global home dedicated
> to serving the unique interests of non-commercial organizations on
> the Internet.   And, we expect to be able to add significant value to
> the registry space in total, given our roots, values and technical
> knowledge.

  Nice marketing jargon, but this really doesn't say a whole lot
from a substance point of view.

> We will soon be beginning  a more visible outreach effort to solicit
> endorsements in support of our bid to run the .org registry.   Our
> intent is to solicit letters of endorsement from you - the ISOC
> Chapters,  and we would like to enlist your support in reaching out
> to your board members, either as individuals or on behalf of their
> organizations in the instances where this is appropriate.    It would
> also be helpful if you could reach out to other important or
> influential organizations or individuals.  We are particularly
> interested in other non-commercial organizations, as well as
> international ones, and it would be very helpful (once you have
> received the appropriate documents) if you would forward the request
> for support on to any individual or organization you feel appropriate.
>
> You will soon be receiving the documents mentioned above
> (electronically) and these are intended to help in the solicitation
> effort.   I certainly hope you join both myself and the Board in
> supporting this effort.   Should you receive any specific questions
> on our bid, please feel free to direct them to either David Maher or
> myself and as I mentioned earlier we should remember that the bid
> period is still open and therefore be somewhat thoughtful in our
> approaches.

  The best approach I can think of is for the ISOC to bow out
as it has shown for several years now it is a captured org itself..

> Best regards,
>
> Lynn
>
> --
> Lynn St.Amour
> President & CEO
> Internet Society
>
> US Office: +1 703 326 9880 ext. 106
> European Office: + 41 22 807 1444
> Mobile: + 41 79 202 3127
> email: st.amour@isoc.org

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827