ccTLDs in early ICANN - Was: [ga] your comments

Kristy,

>At 08:35 AM 5/30/2002 -0400, Joe Sims wrote:
>>Peter Dengate Thrush wrote:
>>

>>  the cctlds have been one of the supporters of the
>>  ICANN project since its inception
>>

>All the information I have read indicates there are NO cctlds who support
>the ICANN.
>
>Please, Joe, provide us with a list of cctld ICANN supporters.

First of all, the quoted passage is not from Joe, but from Peter.

Second, Peter does not get into the controversial point on whether ccTLDs
are supportive *now*, but that they *have been* very supportive.
This is uncontroversial statement, contained in public records. Please have
a look at wide evidence at http://www.dnso.org/history/history.html.

Specifically about the DNSO and the GA, may I remind that the first proposal
of a GA came from Dennis Jennings (CENTR, .ie), and that the first
Chairperson was Nii Quainor (.gh).

In the early days, the criticism was exactly the opposite, i.e. that the
DNSO was almost captured by the overwhelming participation of the ccTLDs
(see records of the Monterrey meeting).

ccTLDs have been not only among the early active supporters, but they were
about the only Constituency who was providing international representation.
Besides my good friend Antonio Harris, from Argentina, the only non-OECD
participants in the process I can remember were ccTLD managers.

The question now should be why this has changed. The question is how did
ICANN manage to disperse the huge potential for consensus in its initial
days, and I am asking this not in order to find the scapegoat, but in order
to get it fixed (or get it better the second time).
Because whichever path will be taken, either fixing the current ICANN or
appointing newCo, the problems will remain the same. And they only can be
adressed by discussing the things that are going wrong, and elaborating
alternatives. Motion-mania, that seems to be the new game in town, is
leading us nowhere.

Incidentally, supposing that USG rebids the contract, what will be the GA
position? To hope that they get a better candidate, or to try to lay down
criteria for choice? And in this second case, how does this differ from
applying these criteria to reform ICANN?

Best regards
Roberto