How to get rid of volunteers (Re: [ga] How to disenfranchise 489 members of the DNSO)

Possibly the GA representatives to Task Forces should just go on
strike, or something like that.  That would certainly be healthy
for real life... Kristy, what do you think?

I personally agree that the GA must be changed in order to fulfill
its function as a forum for meaningful exchange between
constituencies.  I even believe that GA votes on substantial
resolutions do not make it easier for the GA to fulfill this
function, and that open polls on such issues are more appropriate
(different thread ["tools"], please comment on this topic there).

However, I strongly believe that restricting GA membership to
constituencies' members would be a mistake.

The DNSO would deprive itself of valuable public input, and it would
also deprive itself of quite some amount of volunteers' dedication
and effort, and of external insight and comments.  The DNSO would
remove the (possibly lose) connection to "veterans" who may no
longer be active within constituencies, but still hang around [even
when they are quiet most of the time; this may be a good opportunity
for some of you folks to speak up].  The DNSO would lose the ability
to use the GA as a forum for cross-SO exchange - not even the ccTLDs
would be admitted!  The DNSO would lose the (necessary!) flexibility
which the GA adds to a task-force based policy-making process; that
loss cannot be fixed by a public comment period, or by surveys.

I'm sure I forgot quite a few points why this recommendation is the
wrong approach.

"For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and
wrong."

In the case of the GA, the Names Council has picked a solution of
that kind.

To Philip: When I asked for a change to and further discussion of
this recommendation, I meant that. I did not mean a mere footnote
stating what the GA chair thinks.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/