Re: [ga] Request for vote on GA position on election of ICANN board members

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Roessler" <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
: >1.  Every member of the ICANN board of directors should be elected
: >by bodies that are wholly independent from the ICANN board itself.
:
: This is ill-defined: What does "wholly independent from the ICANN
: board" even mean?  Is the DNSO "wholly independent"?  Are the
: constituencies?  Would at-large elections like the ones which took
: place 2000 pass this test of independence?

   Probably poorly written.  What I need to say is that the board should not
elect itself.... be able to veto board members, or otherwise be self
perpetuating.   I'll work on the text to better express this.

The DNSO is clearly the weak link in ICANN, which itself is a huge
problem... this is where ICANN board really gets into trouble.   If DSNO was
stronger, ICANN board would be less of a problem.   But of course, then we
would need to worry about the strange way the DNSO is organized... where the
more commerical conflicts of interest you have, the more votes you get.   (A
topic for another day).

:
: >2.  If the ICANN board creates a new system for board
: >representation that is different from the system contemplated in
: >the White Paper, it should repopulate the board with new board
: >members, who are elected by bodies that are wholly independent
: > from the existing board, and such action is necessary to
: >demonstrate the board's confidence in the fairness of the new
: >system.
:
: This suggestion would back-fire: It would deprive the board of all
: the experience which is currently there.  Rather, I'd suggest that
: the unelected (and, bad enough, also the elected) at large board
: members should be replaced at the next opportunity.

  I completely disagree with this.  The point is to force the current board
to design a system that they would trust, with them as outsiders.   People
will accept any stupid system for selecting board members as long as they
are on the initial board.

  Jamie