Re: [ga] Request for vote on GA position on election of ICANN board members

Dear Chair,
I submit the text of the following motion for a debate and further on for a
vote by this GA.
I call for comments or tentative seconds. I thank the Chair to let us know
under which delay and how many seconds he would need to proceed to a vote.

I note that this motion cetailny concerns the entire ICANN, but the DNSO
being on its compenents, it concerns also the DNSO. The DNSO having to
relate with the BoD, a drastic change in the BoD slection would necessarily
have an impact on the DNSO. Among others this motion is to permit the
Members of the GA to tell the limits or the conditions they want to set-up
for them to trust the BoD and  for the DNSO/BoD relation to continue and
improve.

>Whereas the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) was
>created with an understanding that its board of directors would be elected
>by a combination of supporting organizations and direct elections from an
>atlarge membership, and
>
>Whereas the Committee on ICANN Reform and Evolution and members of the ICANN
>board of directors are considering new methods of electing the ICANN board
>of directors, and
>
>Whereas some members of the ICANN board of directors are proposing a system
>whereby the board of directors would elect itself, and
>
>Whereas a self perpetuating board of directors is both inappropriate and
>unacceptable for ICANN,
>
>The General Assembly of the DNSO expresses the following views,
>
>1.    Every member of the ICANN board of directors should be elected  by
>bodies that are wholly independent from the ICANN board itself.
>
>2.    If the ICANN board creates a new system for board representation that
>is different from the system contemplated in the White Paper, it should
>repopulate the board with new board members, who are elected by bodies that
>are wholly independent from the existing board, and such action is necessary
>to demonstrate the board's confidence in the fairness of the new system.

---