[ga] ICANN Reform & Registrar Sanctions

Steve Metalitz, President of the Intellectual Property Constituency,
testifying before the House Judiciary Committee that conducted oversight
hearings on the accuracy of the whois database, stated:

"It's hard to escape the conclusion that most registrars don't care about the
quality of the WHOIS data they collect and they feel under no compulsion to
improve it, or even to respect questions... even from this subcommittee,
about it."  [Please note that the Subcommittee sent out letters of inquiry to
over fifty registrars and only a dozen bothered to reply]
Steve also made the following point:  "I think at this point, the buck stops
with ICANN.  ICANN has entered into these agreements [the Registrar
Accreditation Agreements].  It's past time for it to enforce those
agreements."

So, the question becomes... How do we reform our organization if certain key
players (registrars) are not willing to play by the rules?  We have
contracts, and we have breaches of contracts (many breaches of contracts)....
and at the moment the only available sanction for contract breach is
disaccreditation (and we know that ICANN will never take that step).  So what
do we do?  It's like the Wild West with no marshall in town.  By what means
should ICANN "enforce those agreements"?

Advisories alone won't solve our problems, as they can be ignored as readily
as the RAA contract language.

We have already adopted a sanctions program at the registry level.  In my
view, reform of ICANN should probably include a sanctions program at the
registrar level as well.  What good are contracts if enforcement mechanisms
have no teeth?