Re: [ga] various comments

At 08:20 AM 23/05/02 -0400, Joe Sims wrote:

>...the main accomplishment of ICANN  will always be
>the continued stable operation of the DNS, for the
>benefit of all those that rely on it.  If ICANN can
>provide the forum for discussion and debate, and make
>decisions as felt necessary, with the result that (
>despite all the forces to the contrary) the DNS
>continues to perform effectively, that will validate
>its existence.

Let us imagine that the USG sets up a not for profit
organization to oversee the rising of the sun. As the
sun continues to rise, that would validate the existence
of the organization.

>There are 3 million registrants in .org, and their
>continued well-being -- their right to be certain
>that their registrations will continue to effectively
>function under a new registry operator -- is and must
>be the principal criteria of any redelegation.

So let's give NeuStar, who apparently just laid off
another 80 people and closed a couple of offices, the
inside track.

>Once that goal is ensured, then we can think about
>other things, although it is hard for me to imagine
>that it would ever be appropriate to charge registrants
>significantly more than cost for the purpose of creating
>a fund to subsidize someone's idea of a good cause.

I take it then that the WLS proposal is dead, or does
Verisign continue to be your idea of a good cause? -g