Re: [ga] deletion policy - what should it look like?

At 09:07 PM 5/22/2002 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>On 2002-05-22 13:12:46 -0500, Kristy McKee wrote:
>
>>>- Delete between M and N days after date of expiry.  (N - M = 7)
>
>>Thomas, the above in conjunction with an ACK from the TC or AC that the
>>deletion is indeed intentional.
>
>What should happen if the registrant does not react?  Wouldn't the
>Redemption Grace Period being a sufficient safeguard against inadvertent
>registrations?  And shouldn't registrars actually perceive the entire
>deletion mess as an opportunity to provide their customers with better
>service, like the one suggested by Elisabeth?
>
>--
>Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/
>--

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Elisabeth's contribution or it's where-abouts.

----

If neither the TC or AC reacts and the domain name has lapsed, then they
lose the right to use.

---

Notifying the TC and AC provides an opportunity to the persons supporting
the domain to communicate with their client and discover if there was an
oversight or that they (for sure) no longer wish to continue using their
domain.

It has been my experience that sometimes clients AND their Webmasters let
their domain registrations lapse due to temporary insanity, inaccurate
whois data, or something unexplainable like that.

In many situations the domain name registrant is completely clueless about
the Internet, DNS, and bills related to services like these.  They rely on
their AC and/or TC to make good decisions and protect them from their own
lack of time to learn.

:)

~k