Re: [ga] NC BS

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

>My point is that participatory criteria can, and are, determined by the
>membership of the distinct groups within ICANN - an effort that, to the
>best
>of my knowledge, has never been undertaken by the GA.

This was not by accident, but by design. In other words, "it's not a bug,
it's a feature", as Bill Gates says.
The fact is that the model upon which the GA has been built is the IETF.
Nobody asks you formal IETF membership for joining a working group, a
mailing list, or a physical meeting. And this should have been the GA: a
forum where people could debate DNS-related issues, the only requirement
being that they were interested in the debate, tautologically shown by their
very participation.
The problem comes when a forum for discussion is turned into a
decision-making body: at that point you need a more formal approach, an
"official" membership, controls against multiple voting, and all amenities
that have been subtracting time and attention from other subjects.

Personally, I believe that the GA should limit its voting to few
housekeeping issues, like election of representatives and adoption of basic
rules, and offer its resources for the exchange of ideas.
If we don't do this, we end up in being neither thing: not a forum for
substantial issues, because participants are tired to death with procedural
issues and grandstanding proclaims, and not a decision-making body, because
we don't have any official power.
I know that this post will provoke the bolscevist to reply that power is
something you grab, not something that will be handed over to you, but I'll
take the risk.

Best regards
Roberto