RE: [ga] New Thread - Registrar Reform.

Hi todd

You make some fair points here but you've lost me on a few of them:

>o-    There is no inherent right to force the domain owners to pay an
>additional two months penalty for switching a domain. This constitutes
>essentially ICANN put in place extortion of domain owners and has caused
>significant financial damage already. This needs to be changed immediately.

- can you clarify what you mean here?  I'm not aware of this with the registrars
I deal with

>    o-    In addition to the 60 pre-expiry "change lockout periods", the
>60
>day waiting period to be able to move a domain after it has expired is
also
>ludicrous.  When I want to move a domain and have a new contractual
>relationship with a new Registrar, then damn it I will move that name as
>its
>my IP, and not that of the Registrar.

- ditto - also not sure what you mean here as I've not encountered it?

>    o-    There is another issue here and that is that registrars now keep
>portions of the registrants moneys for whatever periods of service that
the
>customer chooses not to stay for. This is also a problem since it means
that
>you are paying something for nothing and the only one profiting from this
>is
>the registrars. There is no refund for services not rendered currently
and
>this also is a mistake.

- If you transfer to a new registrar you keep all the time remaining on
your licence.  You don't lose anything (with the curious exception of com/net/org
names transferred shortly after expiry but thats a bug in verisigns system
not a policy flaw).

regards
jon

IP
>rights of the customer or the general rights of the customer as the
>contractual client of the Registrar. Lets not even get to the Dispute
>Resolution Process which is equally flawed.  They  (ICANN) also fail the
>privacy issues and that to is a problem, just one that we are not addressing
>herein.
>
>The key concept to remember here is that the Registrar is the publication
>agent for an "e-Marque", i.e. a domain name and that's it.
> Because of the specific failings listed below, I say that ICANN needs
>see a Surgeon very soon:
>
>    1)    WHOIS is not satisfactory as a statement of who owns what IP.
Read
> [...]
>The only way to address this might be the stateful addition of a past tense
>to WHOIS DB's, creating essentially WHOWAS <some_domain>... and some new
>interpretation rules. This is essentially a problem with not ordering a
>custom WHOIS from the IETF to run the Internet by.
>
>Oh and the comment that the current WHOIS is totally functional is only
>going to be made by people that are technical in nature since anyone that
>comes up 50,000 feet and looks at it then will realize that it is not
>functional and why. This is what happens when you rely on the IETF and
its
>Management to build you a global solution... They do at ground level and
>never see the forest for the trees. So sad.
>
>Anyway -
>
>    2)    As mentioned above, the current ICANN philosophy makes the
>Registrar essentially a Publications Agent for the client and as such the
>registrars have several problems with how they operate now.
>    o-    Ones that have purchased organizations that also sell domains
just
>went to war with their customers and that is an unavoidable conflict of
>interest. So my claim here is that registrars MUST not own their own  pool
>of domains for sale, because by doing this they compete with their customers
>and there is no way to provably separate these two activates. As publication
>agents, they (the Registrars) retain no inherent claim against the IP they
>publish... so the current Registrar must release a Domain upon ***any***
>written demand from the domain owner or its care takers.
>    o-    There is no inherent right to force the domain owners to pay
an
>additional two months penalty for switching a domain. This constitutes
>essentially ICANN put in place extortion of domain owners and has caused
>significant financial damage already. This needs to be changed immediately.
>    o-    In addition to the 60 pre-expiry "change lockout periods", the
>60
>day waiting period to be able to move a domain after it has expired is
also
>ludicrous.  When I want to move a domain and have a new contractual
>relationship with a new Registrar, then damn it I will move that name as
>its
>my IP, and not that of the Registrar.
>    o-    There is another issue here and that is that registrars now keep
>portions of the registrants moneys for whatever periods of service that
the
>customer chooses not to stay for. This is also a problem since it means
that
>you are paying something for nothing and the only one profiting from this
>is
>the registrars. There is no refund for services not rendered currently
and
>this also is a mistake.
>
>    3)    Further there a  number of domains that I personally own the
IP