Re: [ga] FYI: Background on .za redelegation plans

On Sun, 19 May 2002, at 11:16 [=GMT+0200], Alexander Svensson wrote:

> Via Declan's Politech list:
>
> >From: Bretton Vine <bretton@deepsouth.co.za>
> [...]
> >In brief, Chapter 10 of the proposed Electronic Communications and
> >Transactions Bill seeks to establish a Domain Name Authority within South
> >Africa and give control of the .za domain to that Authority under the
> >auspices/control of the Department of Communications. This has been done
> >with zero consultation with the current .za administrator or other bodies
> >involved in the redelegation process which is already underway involving
> >Namespace ZA [www.namespace.org.za.]
> [...]
> >Quite simply, the current .za domain administrator will not redelegate the
> >administration of .za to anyone incapable of fulfilling the requirements in
> >RFC1591 and IPC-1. ICANN won't allow this either. But the government
> >refuses to see reason here. You are welcome to draw your own conclusions
> >from the information supplied below. But if the legislation is passed in
> >its current form it would have a severe and detrimental effect to the
> >provision of Internet services in South Africa. This is not something that
> >needs to be tested in order for a point to be proven and the government to
> >realise the error of their ways.
>
> Full details at http://www.politechbot.com/p-03548.html

You omitted a very interesting part from the view of the DNS:

The proposed rules include:
"No person may update a repository or administer a sub-domain unless such
person is licensed to do so by the Authority. This implies that I, as a
domain holder of somedomain.co.za now need a license for
machine1.somedomain.co.za."

This does away with a fundamental principle of the DNS. Trademark lawyers
will love it, I am sure. Sysadmins will not.