[ga] Proposal for ballot text # 4

James Love proposed the following text:

>====Suggested Ballot text # 3================
>"The GA wishes to express its confidence in the ICANN board of directors to
>address the reform process, and agrees with the general direction of the
>Committeee on ICANN reform work so far."
>======================================

Well, since we are in the mood for adding confusion, let me propose another
text.
====Suggested Ballot text # 4================
WHEREAS the major problems with the current situation are:
1) the lack of open and transparent process
2) failure to involve directly all the Internet stakeholders

The General Assembly of the Domain name Supporting Organization of Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) asks the US Department of
Commerce that, if an open competition for the services now provided by ICANN
will be held, the bids shall be submitted in an open and transparent process
to the Internet Community, who will decide the winner with a global vote to
be held online with the principle of "one individual - one vote".

Anything less would perpetrate the current method of taking decisions behind
closed doors, and without giving the power to the people that deserve it,
i.e. the individual users and stakeholders of the Internet.
================================

If Jamie`s motion is in order and in the scope of the GA, well, then this
one is as well.
As for the chances of having USG listening to us and organize a global
internet vote, well, if somebody thinks that they will do a rebid just
because the GA asks, they might think also that we will have the online vote
to award the new contract.
As for the difficulty of organizing such vote, the objection is moot: if
ICANN should be able to do it for the AtLarge elections, why on earth should
USG not be able to do it? In fact, they have the knowledge, the financial
resources, and all what is needed.

Comments and seconds welcome.
Regards
Roberto