Re: [ga] Registrar Advisory Concerning Whois Data Accuracy

On Sun, 12 May 2002, at 10:44 [=GMT-0700], todd glassey wrote:

> MY concern is what they actually do to maintain that their email address and
> other contact point data is valid. I would be surprised if any of the
> registrars ever did anything to verify squat at this point. You know how
> many domains from Verisign have addresses that are fraudulent and the like.
> My favorite one was a Sex Spammer out of Korea that somehow got a
> Verisign-supported  Domain Name for an address that listed it as one of the
> city offices of the City of San Mateo California.

[...]

> When this was pointed out to Network Solutions (as they were still calling
> themselves then) they said "so what", and well, that was that.

Domains are irrelevant in fighting spam. Often they are fake. It is very
easy to send email with any domain in the From part of the header. (I just
tried to do that to you :-) So NSI got it right this time.

To fight spam, block the IPs of relays (mailservers) that send it,
knowingly or unknowingly. If you run your own mailserver, try ordb.org. I
am very happy with it. It is free.