[ecdiscuss] Re: [ga] Negative outreach norms, board claims regarding consensus in favor of "reform" efforts

Jefsey and all assembly members or other interested parties,

  I have to agree with your assessment of Thomas's comments.
As a European it seems that Thomas is a bit out of step to
put it mildly...

  I am taking the liberty of cc'sing this to ecdiscuss list for
their review as well...

jefsey wrote:

> Dear Thomas,
> This is absolute nonsense
>
> You plead the ICANN is the only chance to balance interests in the mission
> creep area. Where it has  no mandate. No one wants the ICANN to have any
> teeth to defend anyone. No one expects the ICANN to fall on any side. This
> is actually what the consensus OPPOSES.
> ICANN is not a government, it is a small technical registry. It is only in
> being small, in being neutral and in treating everyone equal that it can
> could protect everyone's interests and foster competition. Otherwise it has
> absolutely NO interest and for many interests it is a DANGER they must control.
>
> Public control will not result from a GA vote. It will come after reading
> what you said, to investigate. Why do you think Lynn called the Govs? Have
> you ever called the Cops?
>
> After that you say what we all agree: that mission creep is absurd. And you
> want to make us being absurd telling it? From what you say you are a
> mathematician: I do hope your logic is better with numbers than with names.
>
> As you known I a moderate about, Jamies motion. I think you are right: it
> is urgent to vote it. As you way it will not kill the GA to ask for someone
> reasonable to step in. Why would Lynn have alone the right to call for the
> Govs?
>
> I am going to petition the EEC, will you join us?
> jfc
>
> At 01:34 09/05/02, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>
> >On 2002-05-08 16:09:40 -0400, James Love wrote:
> >
> >>1.  What is the argument for not having people vote in a GA ballot
> >>measure, if they care about an ICANN issue?
> >
> >The argument, which has, by now, been repeated ad nauseam is that
> >the GA, as a body, is not the appropriate channel to make the
> >statement you are asking it to make.
> >
> >>2.  One reason to have this vote is that the ICANN board and staff are
> >>telling governments (everywhere) that they have a consensus in the
> >>"Internet community" on the reform process.  And if they say
> >>so, who is to say otherwise?  Unless, for example, you have
> >>something like a vote.  Right now a GA vote will be a data point. I think
> >>a useful data point regarding the degree of consensus on
> >>the Lynn/Board "reform" efforts, and it would be more interesting
> >>if there was larger participation, going even beyond the
> >>hyperactive GA-list posting community.
> >
> >You're mixing a couple of things which should, for the sake of
> >clarity, be treated separately.  I'll try to rehash some arguments
> >which have popped up before in various places.
> >

> >You start by confusing reform process and the Lynn proposal.
> >1. Reform process: It's quite evident that ICANN is not functioning
> >in the manner expected by many.  I'm deliberately saying:
> >"expected".  Because one of the sources for the problems we are
> >currently experiencing are vastly different expectations of what
> >ICANN should do.  Let me give some examples: Verisign and their
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827