Re: [ga] icannwatch.org for sell ?

Hello,

--- Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr> wrote:
> Anyway, a whois query of last ressort informs that this
> domain name is possibly for sell.
> My question is - are advertisements allowed in answers to whois
> queries ?

Register.com automatically inserts that "text banner" promoting
Afternic in its WHOIS output. I don't think it's illegal or anything,
as the Registrars' agreement with ICANN only specifieds which fields
must be included in the WHOIS, and doesn't say that one can't toss in
extras like that. As far as I'm aware, the registrant doesn't have
ICANNWATCH.org for sale at this time (although, I think all domains are
for sale, at the right price, in this capitalistic society we live in).
If you do a WHOIS on other names at Register.com, you'll see the same
Afternic text, as you will on all domains through that registrar.

Some creative registrants put Flash ads in their WHOIS a while ago
(before most of the registrars adapted and removed HTML when they
parsed the WHOIS before presenting it on their websites)!

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/