RE: [ga] Re: http://www.dnso.org/icannatlarge/2002.ICANNATLARGE-Panel-vote.html

Kent Crispin wrote (25 April 2002 13:31)

> That is true for me, as well.  There is another advantage of email
> lists, which, to my mind, is absolutely decisive: email lists
> automatically implement a distributed and replicated record of the
> discussion.  This means that there is no single central repository where
> history can be rewritten.
>
> In addition, of course, email is the lowest common denominator for
> Internet access, and an email base, therefore, will reach the widest
> possible audience.

I totally agree with this. In addition, a lot of people around the world
still pay on a time basis for Internet connections, making involvement in a
web-based forum unnecessarily expensive.

> Of course, a web archive is very useful, and should be a part of any
> discussion list.  But there really is no question that email should
> be the authoritative base medium.

Yes, you need web archives, but restricting a mailing list to a web-only
forum potentially excludes some people.

andy duff