Re: [ga] WLS referred to the DNSO; WLS & competition

Here's an interesting example of the abuse which Verisign (and others)
will be able to practice if the WLS is implemented:

I wish to register the doma

Domain Name: DIGITALBOOKS.COM
Administrative Contact, Technical Contact
Dickson, Chris  (CD6751 <http://www.netsol.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?%21CD6751&id=0>)  austin@CDICKSON.NET
Individual
14924 Jacks Pond Road
Austin, TX 78728
512.244.3348 (FAX) 512.244.3358

Billing Contact:
Slaughter, Kristen  (KSS203 <http://www.netsol.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?%21KSS203&id=0>)  kristen@IBOOKS.COM
ibooks.com, Inc.
804-C Rio Grande St.
Austin , TX 78701
512-478-2700 X102 (FAX) 512-478-0500

Record last updated on 22-Mar-2002.
Record expires on 20-Jan-2002.
Record created on 20-Jan-2000.
Database last updated on 22-Apr-2002 09:34:00 EDT

*****Expired since January 20th of this year!

Of course, it is possible for me to BACK ORDER this domain through Verisign's SNAPBACK service...

Now, this is evidence of a clear-cut abuse of Verisign's registrar/registry position.

Perfect example why the WLS schema should not be implemented.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos

in  name

DIGITALBOOKS.COM

But, I am unable to do so through my registrar of choice despite the fact that the domain is expired: