Re: [ga] Bulk WHOIS Data Issue

I knew all that, but the point remains and, incidentally, it was not
narrowly focused on DMV information, either.

The point was, and is, that there is much more information already
readily available from other sources. If a criminal wants to find out
your address, there are plenty of ways for that to be achieved. I
seriously doubt that a criminal would use the whois, since there is
much more information available elsewhere.

Incidentally, do you really believe that a criminal is going to comply
with the restrictions imposed by publicdata.com or just agree to them
on-line and do whatever he wishes? Heck, if hanging out some rules
makes a difference, then I'm compelled to hang on the doors and windows
of my house all the rules for entry -- like, for instance, you can't
rob us... That would save me over $100 year for the burglar alarm
service and, I'm sure, it would make my wife sleep much easier, too.
The point is, obviously, the restrictions don't hold water - even the
DMV information is readily available to anyone who agrees to the
restrictions.

Worrying about the limited scope of whois information doesn't even
rise to the level of treating the symptoms, rather than treating the
disease, like Congress did when they passed the DPPA. The Whois
information is trivial and it is needed by ISP's to serve their
customers, among other things.

Want to find out my address?  Just goto
http://www.dalcoelections.org/voters.asp and type in Brown, Donald.
I'm the real one - the rest are imposters. :-) Not only do you get the
street address, but also a convenient map.

Do you want to know who lives at a certain address in Dallas and the
appraised value of their house? Just goto
http://www.dallascad.org/dcadressearch.html and just enter a street
name -- try clubhouse. It returns appraised value, address, owner name
and the actual address of the owner even when different from the
property address and, incidentally, also a convenient map to the
property -- plus other info, as well.

How about, who owns a certain telephone number and their address?
There a plenty of search engines readily available on the Internet. I
use them all the time in an effort to verify credit card information,
in fact.

This whole thing reminds me of the of those radical, separationist,
paramilitary types who are camped out in the woods, with a stock pile
of food, a deep bomb shelter and are training for the time they have
to fight the U.S. Gov for their continued freedom. Mostly
under-educated, but righteous and focused, never-the-less.

Realistically, you were neither stalked or had your identity stolen
because of the whois data.  That was noise and sensationalism.  I
think it is a real stretch making whois info sensational, too.  You
didn't state that specifically, but it was, never-the-less, an
implication.  It has no merit WRT this discussion, either.

It's shooting mosquitos with double 00 buck shot and it's misplaced
WRT the trivial whois data.

I respect your opinion, but just like the last post, this post did not
meaningfully support it very well.

Let's move on.

Thanks,

Sunday, April 21, 2002, 4:56:45 PM, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
JW> Don and all assembly members,

JW>   Yes Don I am a registered member/user of http://www.publicdata.com
JW> and have been for some time now.  However if you read the specifics
JW> and than check with Texas state statute very strong restrictions are
JW> in place for Texas as well as 10 other states.  See:
JW> http://www.publicdata.com/cgi-win/logon.exe?Process=tacDsply&tacCert=DMV&tacState=Yd&tacCntl=E&dlnumber=DEMO&dlstate=DEMO&id=DEMO#DPPA
JW> Which contains but is not restricted to the following:

JW> "Driver's License and Motor Vehicle Information Restrictions -
JW>      Most States in the United States have adopted a close facsimile of the so-called Driver Privacy Protection Act (DPPA). Although two U.S. Federal Judges
JW>      have ruled the DPPA to be unconstitutional and many other court challenges are still pending, most States have left their interpretation of the DPPA as
JW>      Law. The DPPA has a list of exceptions that fits most uses of Driver's License and Motor Vehicle Information. If your use is described by one of the
JW>      following, you are more than likely in compliance with this Law, but please check to make sure. Approved uses as described by the DPPA:

JW>      Select one of the following radio buttons to indicate your compliance with that particular section of the DPPA.

JW>          1. For any use in the normal course of business by me as a legitimate business or an agent, employee, or contractor of a legitimate business, for
JW>           one of the two following purposes:
JW>                to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted to the business, agent, employee, or contractor by an individual;
JW>                in case personal information submitted to the business, agent, employee, or contractor by an individual is incorrect or no longer is correct,
JW>                to obtain the correct information, for the sole purpose of preventing fraud, by pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or
JW>                security interest against, the individual.
JW>          2. For any use if the requesting person has written consent of the person about whom the information is sought;
JW>          3. For any use in research activities or in producing statistical reports, where the personal information will not be published re-disclosed, or used
JW>           to contact an individual;
JW>          4. For any use by an insurer, insurance support organization, or self-insured entity, or by an agent, employee, or contractor of that type of entity,
JW>           in connection with a claims investigation activity, anti-fraud activity, rating, or underwriting;
JW>          5. For use in providing notice to the owner of a towed, impounded, immobilized, or forfeited vehicle;
JW>          6. For use by a licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under the DPPA
JW>          7. For any use by an employer or by the agent or insurer of an employer to obtain or verify information relating to the holder of a commercial
> [...]

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----