From: William X Walsh [mailto:william@wxsoft.info]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 6:29 AM
To: William S. Lovell
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Bulk Whois Data Issue

Wednesday, Wednesday, April 17, 2002, 9:10:37 PM, William S. Lovell wrote:

> Absurdity reaches new heights.  One can also keep one's name out of the
> phone book by not having a phone, or out of the Motor Vehicle Department's
> lists by having neither a driver's license nor a car. But both of those
> entities
> have procedures for protecting their user's privacy. The Internet, or indeed
> a domain name, are rapidly becoming necessary parts of doing business, and
> indeed a healthy means for self expression by private citizens. To
> suggest that
> one must necessarily give away all rights of privacy just because some
> registrar
> sees yet one more way to squeeze out a buck is unconscionable.

Just as there are examples supporting your view, there are better
ones supporting the opposite view.

In the US, every state makes property ownership information available
as a matter of public record.  They are required by statute to provide
that information in bulk format for a fee, and there are companies out
there who specialize in providing that data in a searchable and
downloadable database format.

You cannot own property without having it listed publicly.  If you
want to own it and protect your privacy, it is entirely up to you to
do what is necessary to do that, by forming a shell company for
instance.

Access to those databases are not expensive at all, as a matter of
fact.

When you own property, people have the right to be able to get that
information.  The same with a domain name, which is the internet form
of "property."

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>