Re: [ga] Bulk Whois Data Issue

Well that is perhaps a simplistic approach to a complex situation.

Just because whois data is visible in the EU via the internet does not
necessarily give them jurisdiction in this matter.

Its probably a safe bet that someone like a registrar or registry that
is operating in Europe would have to modify things somewhat. But people
operating in Europe already know how to comply.  Its not a new issue for
them.

But if I were a registrar or other entity running a whois service on my
box here in canada, I seriously doubt the EU could do anything about it.
I would not be in their jurisdiction.
What I would be doing would not be illegal here.
Good luck getting enforcement on any judgement.

Dan Steinberg

Sythesis: Law & Technology
(613) 794-5356