Re: [ga] Bulk Whois Data Issue

Wednesday, Wednesday, April 17, 2002, 4:15:42 PM, Joanna Lane wrote:

>> DannyYounger@cs.com
>> I share Tim's point of view, and would appeciate hearing the
>> position of GA
>> members on this topic (especially the views of those members that now
>> participate on the WHOIS Committee).
>>

> Disclosing personal data in the Whois is unlawful in the 15 member nations
> of the European Union.

Actually, I've heard differing viewpoints from real attorneys, not
just people who play one here on the GA.

But let's say you are right, all this will do is require ICANN to not
accredit European registrars.

The whois data is, and ought to remain, public, without exception.

Now, to the issue of bulk whois output.  ICANN permits registrars to
offer an "opt-out" to registrants from the bulk whois output.

The downside to not allowing bulk whois access is that it will bring
back the massive automated mining of the whois databases again.

I'm sympathetic to the opinion of the Registrar who brought this up,
but I'm not so sure that his position is practical, or that the
withdrawal of the policy will not result in a much worse problem.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>