[ga] Bulk Whois Data Issue

Please note the following comment posted by Tim Ruiz to the registrars list:

<< I understand the reasoning behind public disclosure of registrant data but
it seems to have gone too far. In this day and age of privacy concerns it's a
little insane that Registrars are required to make their customer data
available to the public in bulk.  One-offs through a Web interface are one
thing. Requirements for bulk access, including open ports, to the data are
just too much. It's an open invitation to abuse with no one really willing to
enforce proper use of the data. In fairness, I'm not sure there is any way to
enforce it given the international nature of what we do. I believe there
should NOT be any requirement for open port, or bulk, access to this data.>>
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg02333.html

I share Tim's point of view, and would appeciate hearing the position of GA
members on this topic (especially the views of those members that now
participate on the WHOIS Committee).